National Service Scheme popularly known as NSS, the scheme was launched in Mahatma Gandhi Centenary year 1969 and aimed at developing student’s personality through community service. The overall objective of National Service is educational. This objective is attained through the service to the community.
The basic purpose of NSS is Personality Development through community service.
The broad objectives of NSS are to:
- Understand the community in which they work.
- Understand themselves in relation to their community.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process.
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solution to individual and community problems.
- Develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities.
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude.
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disaster and
- Practice national integration and social harmony.
Highlights of NSS in Our College
There are 4 units in our college comprising 100 students in each unit constituting a total of 400 students.
The students actively participate in various social services which are laid as under:
- NSS volunteers participate regularly in keeping campus clean.
- The students actively involved in traffic control duty at in front of the College Campus.
- Every year one village is adopted through NSS and our students participate in 7 days camp in the village.
- Our NSS students teach illiterate people in the village.
- Every year at least 10 students participate in National Integrated Camp
- Students actively involved in various awareness programme like Swatch Bharat, Plastic Eradication, Beti bacha beti batoa, voters awareness, Green Revolution and so forth.
- Every year 4 to 5 students participate in Walkathon and Mini Marathon conducted by U.T Administration.
- NSS volunteers involve themselves in various National celebrations like Gandhi Jeyanthi , Republic Day, Independence Day and also in various events organized by the college like, Yoga Day celebrations, Cultural Week celebrations etc.,
- As a sense of social and civic responsibility NSS volunteers involve actively in various environmental awareness campaign and by planting saplings in and around the college campus.
- Students attended in the One Day National Level Webinar on ‘Yoga for healthy mind and Body” organized by National Service Scheme of Government College Daman, on June, 2020.
- Students actively served for the city of Daman during COVID-19 lockdown period.
- One of our NSS students was selected for Republic Day Parade in the Year 2019.